We are hiring for one or more people with experience in and a passion for agriculture in 2022
General Labour Nith Valley Organics
Permanent full time until November Kitchener, Ontario
Nathan and Aleta Klassen own and farm Nith Valley Organics https://nithvalleyorganics.ca We are 15 mins outside of Kitchener Ontario. NVO is a certified organic vegetable farm also raising pastured chicken and lamb. We sell predominantly at farmers markets in Toronto, maintain an online store www.localline.ca/nith-valley-organics, and also maintain some wholesale patrons. We grow a variety of vegetables year round in our greenhouses and high tunnels. The long term goal of the farm is to work towards being as sustainably responsible as we can for ourselves, employees, the environment and the communities we grow for.
The Assistant Manager position entails harvesting a variety of crops, washing, helping with packing, field irrigation, and tractor cultivation. Beyond these duties, there is no shortage of work of all kinds. From marketing, sales, livestock management and the online store, construction and even ongoing farmer led research. We strongly encourage employees to take on roles that suit their strengths beyond their normal duties.
We try to keep our workdays 8 to 5pm Monday to Friday with the possibility of work on weekends, if wanted. The nature of the Assistant Manager work load ebbs and flows, so some schedule variability is appreciated for the position. Longer hours are not usually needed more than one day in a work week. We are flexible as to which hours someone wants to work.
An ideal candidate will have
- A passion for hard work, be a career farmer and love cooking and nature
- Prior experience harvesting veggies (greens, beans, tomatoes, beets, carrots) at a farm scale 1-2 seasons experience on an organic farm
- Attention to detail and the ability to work methodically at a good pace
- Physically fit and able to work in all weather
- A self starter and team player, this job is what you make it to be
- Good communication with team members, but also a strong ability to work alone
- Has own transportation, lives locally and is looking to grow into a long term position
- Has a good sense of humour! Puns and veggies are soup-herb
We offer a competitive wage of $15-18 per hour, based on experience
If we’ve described you perfectly, please email Jason a PDF copy of your cover letter and resume titled Harvest Manager to email@example.com
Thank you for your interest, we’re excited to grow with you!